Transition to MPEG-4
In April 2017 Shaw Broadcast will begin transitioning all MPEG-2 satellite signals to MPEG-4 (this does not impact signals on ANIK G1 as these signals are already MPEG-4). Conversions will occur in three phases over three years from approximately April to October of 2017, 2018 and 2019. Our objective is to be 100% MPEG-4 by the Fall of 2019.
We are transitioning to MPEG-4 because the legacy MPEG-2 encoding equipment is reaching End of Support status. This means that within the next few years the MPEG-2 encoding equipment used by Shaw Broadcast will no longer be able to be supported or repaired. Upgrading to current generation MPEG-4 equipment allows our customers to continue to broadcast television signals for distribution.
To continue to receive signals from ANIK F1R and F2, BDUs will require equipment capable of receiving MPEG-4 satellite signals in their head ends. If this equipment transcodes the signal back to MPEG-2 before distributing it over the local cable network, no customer premise upgrades would be required. If this equipment sends out a MPEG-4 signal, then all Cable customer premise equipment must be capable of handling an MPEG-4 signal. Transcoding signals is not an option for BDUs utilizing the QT Plus product, all customer premise equipment must be MPEG-4 capable.
|Wayne Rabey, VP Sales (Cable/Telco Market)||Claude Molnar|
|(Office) 1-800-668-0175 # 416||(Office) 514-328-2025 x2261|
|(Cell) 905-478-2989||(Cell) 514-916-8945|
Note: This Plan is subject to change, please check our website for updates.
Transition PlanMPEG-4 FAQs
Phase 3 — April 2019 to October 2019
- F1R Ku Band Technical Information Phase 3 (New – 11-September-19)
- F2 Ku Band Technical Information Phase 3 (New – 11-September-19)
- F1R F2 Traffic Plan Phase 3 (New – 29-August-19)
- G1 Traffic Plan Phase 3 (New – 29-August-19)
- Sequence of Events for third phase of MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 (New – 25-September-19)
- Technical/Data Chart for Phase 3 (New – 25-September-19)
- Final Outcome F1R F2 Traffic Plan Phase 3 (New – 3-October-19)
- G1 xKu-Band Channel Chart After Phase 3 (New – 29-August-19)
Transition Plan Decoders / Hardware Information
- Shaw MPEG-2 SD service elimination April 2019
- MPEG-2 Headends
- MPEG-4 Headends
- Commercial IRD Options for Shaw Conversion
- DSR-4410MD ARRIS Datasheet
- DSR-4440 Datasheet ARRIS
- DSR-4450 Datasheet ARRIS
- DSR-4460 Datasheet ARRIS
- DSR-4470 Datasheet ARRIS
- DSR-7400 Datasheet
- DSR-7401 Datasheet